Electrical Shock, what to do and how to prevent it in our home?

015 36 48 33 48

015 36 48 33 48

Open Hours

Open Hours:
Mon-Fri: 08:00-18:00

Sat: 09:00-17:00

East Midlands

East Midlands


Before we start I must remind everyone that in our homes we all have cables, wires, small and larger electrical appliances. It is the homeowners duty to make sure your family and property is as safe as possible from electrical accidents, damage and electrical fire.

The easiest and quickest way to make sure everything is working safely in our home , including wires not visible (inside walls and under floorboards), is to ask a registered electrical company to carry out a full EICR check, which is a relatively quick and cheap way to prevent injuries and house fires. 

After the EICR check, you should receive an EICR report/certificate which will tell you if everything is safe in your home, this report will be proof for your home insurance company about your home’s electrical maintenance, will make house selling easier and there is no need to redo it in the next 5-10 years again (landlords in every 5 yrs must have an EICR report by law!).

Electric Shock

Electrical Shock

We highly advise our customers to ask for a full EICR, as shockingly most properties never had one or had it done 10-20+ odd years ago. This is the only way to know all installations are safe, and ask for best preventative safety advice from your electrician. Make sure your electrician is not a ,,cable monkey”, but a fully qualified, insured and registered one. ( like Cavendish Electricals, NAPIT registered).

And finally us and RCD. Using RCD protection is helping to protect you and your family from dangerous electric shocks! How does it work? It limits the time, currents can flow through the body , if a person comes into contact with a live source of electricity.

We especially recommend that anyone using electrical appliances in the garden, ensure that they are protected by RCD, preferably one fitted in the main household fuse box.

For more information on electrical safety and how to get regular maintenance, testing and protection please get in touch.

You must check if your electrician is qualified and also registered to carry out Domestic work under Part P and he must be registered with one of the 5 main organization, which you can check on the Competent Person scheme here.

Please Feel free to contact Cavendish Eletricals & Services and send us an enquiry through our web page. If you have any question you can email us to info@cavendishelectricals.co.uk or you can call us on 015 3648 3348.

We cover a wide range of areas: Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Greater London (M25).