Rogue electricians and how to spot them?

015 36 48 33 48

015 36 48 33 48

Open Hours

Open Hours:
Mon-Fri: 08:00-18:00

Sat: 09:00-17:00

East Midlands

East Midlands

Unregistered, unlicensed desperados, “builders” or electrician wannabes carry out electrical works across the UK, which they are not qualified to and simply shouldn’t touch. Botched electrical wiring may cause house fires or harm to homeowners. 

Very often rogue electricians will tell you that they will give you a good deal, but in reality, they often ask for the same amount of payment for a very poor and unsafe work, leaving you without any certificate, which may affect house selling in future and your house insurance as well. 

They will tell you that they have years of experience on the field but the only way to be sure is to ask them for proof of qualification. To be able to stay safe, you should use a trustworthy company, where electricians are registered with one of the 5 approved bodies in the UK. You can check this online here.

Problems with the unsafe electrical works:

We recommend for all of our clients to ask for an (EICR) Electrical Installation Condition Report if they haven’t got one already for your property or if it’s older than 10yrs. Our qualified and NAPIT Registered electrician will carry out this check for a relatively small fee and only takes a couple of hours. It is a clean job and will give you an EICR certification in the end as a proof. Once it is done, you will know that your home and family are safe.

Electrical Safety First recommends EICR Check in every 10 years or when you buy and move to a new property. Landlords in the UK are recommended to do it before new tenants move in, but have to get it done every 5 years as a compulsory requirement!

check the following websites to verify any accreditation the electrician claims to have: Competent Person Scheme Operator

For more information on electrical safety and how to get regular maintenance, testing and protection please get in touch.

You must check if your electrician is qualified and also registered to carry out Domestic work under Part P and he must be registered with one of the 5 main organization, which you can check on the Competent Person scheme here.

Please Feel free to contact Cavendish Eletricals & Services and send us an enquiry through our web page. If you have any question you can email us to or you can call us on 015 3648 3348.

We cover a wide range of areas: Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Cambridgeshire.